Wednesday, July 31, 2013

2 men's dress shirts to a cute little sundress

Before - 2 men's button up dress shirts (sorry didn't get the before pic until the 2 shirts were cut up.) I cut the sleeves off both shirts, cut the cuffs off (I always seem to think I'm going to use them somehow & never do) & then cut the bottom seam of the sleeves to open them up. I laid the red plaid shirt out & cut it straight across at the point where it fit around my midriff. (You can see the top yoke & collar that I cut off in the pic.) I can't remember if I used the white sleeves or if I folded the back of the white shirt in 1/2 to get the material for the bodice, I think I used the white sleeves as a bodice liner for one of my other dresses. It doesn't matter either way as long as you can come up with enough material to cut out the pieces you need, I've even folded up the bottoms of the shirt front to get the material I needed. If I used the sleeves, I put them together, right sides facing & pinned the bodice pattern pieces to it, then cut them out... If I used the shirt, I just folded the back in 1/2, right sides facing, pinned the pieces to it & cut it out... Cut 4 pieces of the red plaid shirt in 1" wide, long strips, sewed 2 of them end to end to get the length of the strap I needed, then sewed the other 2 end to end for the 2nd strap. Folded 1 in 1/2, right sides facing, seamed the length of it, turned it right side out with a safety pin, did the 2nd one the same way & made the spaghetti straps...

I used this pattern (the one on the left) to make the bodice out of the white shirt material... Then I seamed the sides of the red plaid shirt bottom to fit my waist & hips. 


Lined up the middle of the bodice with the buttons on the shirt, right sides facing & pinned the bodice to it, sewed it together. Then sewed the straps at the back & used a safety pin to run the straps through the casing at the top of the bodice, adjusted the straps to fit, tied a bow & here's the after pic of my cute, lil' sundress...




No comments:

Post a Comment