Monday, November 25, 2013

Shirts to tank refashion/revamp to revamping a revamp into skirts for my daughter

Before...


I don't even know where to start trying to write a tutorial for this... I was attempting to make what I thought was going to be the cutest dress I've made so far. Cut the sleeves off both shirts, then cut the cuffs off & cut the bottom seams of the sleeves to open them up... Put the sleeves of the flowered shirt together, right sides facing & cut the bodice pieces out of it. Did the sleeves of the gingham shirt the same way & cut the midriff pieces out of it... Cut the flowered shirt straight across below the 2nd or 3rd button, right at the point where it fit me under the midriff. This is the pattern I used for the bodice & midriff...


I got the top of the bodice done & started working on the midriff part, got it almost done (or so I thought) & realized I'd sewn it backwards... Needless to say, I absolutely hate my seam ripper, even though it's an ergonomically friendly, nice one, it doesn't matter, I still hate it. So I tossed the midriff to the side & thought I'd do something different... At this point I changed my mind to turn it into a tank top instead of a dress. Cut the flowered shirt below the pocket, tried it on, fit it to me (or so I thought) & sewed it up without the midriff. Cut off the excess, tried it on again, wrangled my boobs to get them in it & umm, nope, I can't breathe. Thought I was going to have to cut it off me after I 'bout pulled my shoulders out of socket... Threw it to the side & said, "F*@# it! I'm done sewing for the day!"  

Then the next day... I'm looking at it & thinking what can I do to salvage it? I got my seam ripper, ripped open the midriff part I sewed backwards, resewed the frickin' gathers & sewed it correctly. 


Ripped the bodice off & the seams up the side of the bottom to the point where I could breathe when I put it on. Folded the seam allowance over & hemmed the sides to make splits. OK, YAY, go me, I think this is going to work... Sewed the bodice to the midriff, then to the bottom, tried it on & the midriff was too tight, UGH!!! Tore it all apart again, took a strip of the gingham fabric & sewed it to the bodice, then to the bottom, made some straps from the leftover gingham shirt sleeves & YAY, with a lace trimmed cami, it's wearable...

                                        

                                   

Please bear with me ya' all while I try to improve my tutorial writing skills, I promise I'll work on it...
UPDATE:
I never could get this tank to fit the way I wanted so I tore it all apart, revamped a revamp & made these adorable skirts for my daughter...






No comments:

Post a Comment